Playtime with your cat is very important because it will keep them happy and strengthen your relationship with them. In order to have playtime, you need toys! Toys are important so that your cat does not try to play with items it is not supposed to, like shoes, socks, or furniture. Here are some simple DIY toys to make for your kitten or cat!
#1: T-Shirt Toy (as seen on Muslin & Monroe)
- Cut the shirt in half by the seam, so that the front and back are separated
- Cut into 3 by 10 inch rectangles
- For one toy you will need 6 of these rectangle strips
- Pile the strips up and tie a knot in the middle
- You are done! This one is easy and more fun if you have bright colored t-shirts.
#2- Toilet Paper Roll Mouse Toy
- Small cat treats
- Empty toilet paper roll
- Foam sheets or construction paper (only need half of one sheet)
- Hot glue gun
- Fold the TP roll at one end and fill with 5-10 treats, then fold the other side too
- Cover the roll with the foam sheet or construction paper, and use hot glue gun to keep in place
- Let it dry and you are all set! Your cat will love the rattling noise that the treats make.
#3- Chopstick and Shoelace Toy
- A chopstick
- Felt scraps
- A shoelace
- Hole puncher
- Cut the felt up into random, medium sized pieces (triangles, square, circles, or whatever) If you are just making one toy, you should cut around 6 pieces
- Punch a hole in the middle of each felt piece
- Take the shoelace and tie a knot at one end
- Thread the felt pieces through the shoe lace and tie another knot so that the pieces are secure between two knots
- Take the opposite side of the shoelace and use it to tie a knot around the end of the chopstick
- Hold the end of the chopstick without the knot and play with your cat! Fun!
Enjoy watching your cat play for hours!
Written by Callie Thompson