Kitten chewing green leaf

Careful: Some plants are poisonous for your pet

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, they received more than 9,000 calls in 2020 regarding animals ingesting plants, making it the 5th most common toxin for pets. And since animals can also get sick eating things they find outside, be aware of what is living in your backyard and be vigilant on walks.

This list is not all-inclusive, but covers plants that are more commonly encountered. If there is a specific plant you are concerned about that doesn’t appear on this list, look up it’s toxicity separately to be sure. Also, some animals have more sensitive stomachs, and plants that may not be toxic can still cause vomiting or distress for your pet. If your pet is experiencing symptoms, please contact your vet, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435, or 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center: (855) 764-7661.

Most Common Toxic Plants

· Autumn Crocus

o While the spring crocus can cause vomiting and diarrhea, the autumn crocus is much more highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure.

· Azalea

o Highly toxic. Just eating a few leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling. If left untreated, it can cause a coma and potentially be fatal.

· Cyclamen

o The roots are most dangerous. Can cause vomiting and death

· Lilies

o Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies can cause more minor symptoms like drooling and tissue irritation. Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese Show lilies are highly toxic even in very small doses. Eating 2-3 petals or leaves can result in kidney failure. Cut flowers in general are one of the most common plant toxins that we see in emergency rooms and ingestion is often fatal.

· Oleander

o Leaves and flowers are highly toxic and can cause vomiting, slow the heart rate, and can be fatal.

· Lily of the Valley

o Can cause vomitting, diarrhea, drop in heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias, and seizures.

· Sago Palm

o Contains cycasin, which can cause vomitting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, liver failure, and death. It Should be avoided at all costs.·

Daffodils, Tulips and Hyacinths

o The bulb, plant, and flower of the daffodil, as well as the bulbs of the tulip and hyacinth are highly toxic and can cause tissue irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in heart rate and respiration, and can even cause cardiac arrhythmias or respirary depresion.

· Philodendron, Monstera, and Pothos (devil’s ivy)

o Contains calcium oxalates which can cause skin and mouth irritation, excessive drooling, and vomiting

· Snake Plant and English Ivy

o Contains saponins which cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

· Aloe

o Chewing on the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Do not use the gel on pets.

· Birds of Paradise

o The flower is the most toxic part of the plant and ingesting can cause nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness.

some material sourced from and